Monday, January 21, 2008

The Power of Now

Just started reading Eckhart Tolle's book, 'The Power of Now', which by all accounts has become a bit of an international best-seller. I'm enjoying it so far.

What I find interesting about it is that I think he is basically talking about contemplative prayer without using religious language. The language he uses is more akin to 'self-help' terminology.

He talks about this (briefly) in the introduction and says that the reason for that is that religious language carries so much baggage for people that he would rather talk, for example, about 'Being' than 'God'. To a certain extent I am sympathetic to this point of view. It's very hard for people to get past the 'school assembly' associations of religious language (and I would be quite happy to use Being as a synonym for God who is Being itself).
He is very clear though that one of the things he sees himself doing is helping people of faith (he mentions Christians and Buddhists) to go deeper into their own tradition, not to leave it.

I think I'll blog some more about it as I get further into the book.

1 comment:

Donovan said...

If you liked reading The Power of Now as I did, you may find another book very good called, Crazy for God by Franky Schaeffer.